Tuesday, July 9, 2013

"Dude, I could so make this myself."

So this evening I hanging out with my colleague and friend, Holly.  We were looking online for this awesome resource that she had given me at the beginning of the school year.  It was around the time that I was plucked from the garten of kinders and sent head-first into first...on the second day of school.  Needless to say, I did not have the organization (or sanity) to hold onto it.  In the 30-so minutes I spent searching, Holly introduced me to the world of many many teaching blogs, most of them for First Grade teachers. Yet we just couldn't find that awesome "Welcome First Grade Parents" questionnaire. 

Then it hit me. "Dude, I could so make this myself." I love designing stuff on the computer and knew it would probably be a piece of chocolate chip cookie cake ('cause that's my favorite).  With Holly's help, I designed it, added questions we wish had been on the original (how do you prefer to be contacted, allergies, dietary restrictions), and even added insanely cute monkeys at school graphics. What's cuter than Firsties on a bus?  Why monkeys on a bus, of course!

Being the second and third year teachers that we are, we started talking about how we could supplement our salaries.  Holly mentioned being a consultant for those really cute bags that spell out the number rather than just use the numeral.  She suggested I start putting my stuff on Teachers Pay Teachers.  I'm not there just yet.  First I need to save up (or prepare many many thank you notes addressed to the kind soul that helps me) to pay for the Adobe account that will allow me to save and upload the resources I design without sacrificing my cute fonts!

(Me: I could just post them with the plain old fonts that everybody has as a default.)
(Holly: But people pay for the cute fonts.)

Somewhere after that exchange, Holly said that I could look into blogging.  She even told me which blog offers helpful advice on getting started (I haven't read it yet :/)  Then I remembered..."Hey!  I have one of those bloggy thingies!"

Well, this was my blog for my experiences student teaching in Bangkok, Thailand.  In 2009.  It's 2013. And a lot has changed (But that's another post for another night).

So here's the plan:  While I wait for that account, I'm going to try to become disciplined at posting.  I figure the summer is a good time for this, and I am teaching some fabulous kinders at the STEM Summer Academy in my county.  This will only be my third year of teaching, my second in First Grade.  These posts will probably be taken with the approximate amount of salt found on the rim of that lime-flavored beverage for which Jimmy Buffet named his ville.  We'll see how it goes...

This post is dedicated to Holly...because it was her idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment